So Monday night I went to see Avril Lavigne do her thing at Webster Hall (a special shout out to Rico, thanks again!). Now, her music appeals more to my Pop Rocks! cortex than my Pitchfork medulla oblongata, but here's five reasons why everyone who cares about the future of music should like her:
1. She's got pipes! And she actually plays an instrument. She's not Jimmy Page, but, for real, people, she doesn't try to be. And besides, she has a great boi band.
2. She's not some trampy pedophile fantasy. More Lita Ford than Lolita.
3. She's bitch-slapping the teen queen plasticine image with a cool song about not being a ho. And she's (pardon the expression) nailed it without being a puritanical publicity stunt freak. Um, does anyone seem to realize the irony of Ms. Jessica Simpson's pre-marriage chastity vow and the fact that she's now basically marketing sex toys to prepubescent little girls? Jess, I can forgive you for being really DUMB, but you've crossed over into evil succubus territory there.
4. She doesn't take herself too seriously. This helps her chances of continuing to be relevant when her cohorts are hawking home botox treatments on late night cable.
5. Little girls dig her. Which means that's less time they have to worship images that will have them ralphing up their lunch during sixth grade recess, which is a good thing, dontcha think?