the magic carpet

reflections. links. stories. music. the great unknown.

June 14, 2005

Home is Where I Want to Be

So Pitchfork fully shit themselves today over Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, the newest and not-for-long unsigned NYC blogger darlings...WHO SOUND EXACTLY LIKE THE TALKING HEADS. I guess that David Byrne's presence at Arcade Fire shows was, um, inspiring?

That said, I like them, and I'm excited to see them at Moveable Hype, but I think I just figured out something really interesting-- indie rock's love affair with all things blatantly derivative is a result of two things: (1) the sad fact that for most kids, The Rapture came before Gang of Four and (2) music critics are best at describing the aural (not oral, Helen, you fucking adorable pervert) only in terms of something they've heard before.

Now, imagine this: you're out on a date with a real cutie, and things are going just great. You lean in and have an amazing, passionate liplock. You retract your tongue, smile stupidly at said date, and say, "Wow, you kiss just like George, my ex boyfriend."

If the guy is George's twin brother, I guess you'll score a second date.